Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas in the Park

So, what is with this weather we have been having lately, I mean 60 degrees in December – seriously?!  Where is the winter weather??  Winter is definitely my favorite season, it means peppermint, Starbucks red cups (I mean come on, who doesn’t love coffee in a red cup), Christmas, family & friends, cute sweaters/boots, and of course my birthday!  So, let’s go winter, I am patiently waiting.  I know I may regret this objection to mother nature’s gift of 60 degree weather in December when I am knee deep in snow, but for right now my mindset is enough is enough “bring on the snow!” 
Anyway, given the gorgeous weather yesterday I was able to take advantage of it and run outside. I have lived in the New England area for about five years now and there are certain things I have come to love about the area, and the park by my first apartment in Pawtucket is one of them.  Of course I didn’t really take advantage of this park until I moved away from it, never know what you have till its gone right?
First off, I absolutely love this park – Slater Memorial Park in Pawtucket, RI.  It is definitely one of my favorite places to run.  It is clean, paved, hilly, safe, and has great scenery.  In the summer there are even swans swimming on the lake, so pretty. 

After my great 3.5 mile run (which counted for my 30 for 60 workout J) I stumbled upon TONS of people decorating trees lined up the side of the road.  Being the curious person I am, I parked my car and started walking around.  I asked a couple of people what all of the trees were for and boy did I love their answer.  Apparently, every year the park puts on a Winter Wonderland.  There are about 100 Christmas trees lining both sides of the street (Winter Wonderland Lane – appropriately named) and each tree is dedicated in someone’s memory.  Families and local businesses are able to sponsor a tree and are then responsible for decorating it.  There are also a lot of additional decorations making it look like a little Christmas village.  Not all of the trees had been decorated yet, only a few.  Luckily I grabbed my phone so I could take a couple pictures to share with you.  Some of the trees were decorated pretty creatively …

while others were more traditional looking. 


What a great idea, huh?  And to think I used to live in the park’s backyard for an entire year and I never knew all it had to offer.  I definitely plan on going back to see it completed, lights and all, later this week.  I may even stop by Starbucks for a Soy Peppermint Latte first, yumm! 
Oh and I love how all most of the blogs I follow end their blog with a question, so I am going to steal borrow that idea.  Hope you all had a great weekend!
What is everyone’s favorite thing about the Christmas/Holiday season?

- Rachael -

No comments:

Post a Comment